One Man Army
By: Jack Wirth
Flashing lights. Ears ringing. A man stepped over me and screamed into my ears. I heard nothing. He gave me a frustrated look as he yanked me up out of my parachute. I looked around and saw that my squad was behind a burning bus. As I ran toward the bus, Capt. Coles shouted and sprinted into an alley. I followed him as did the rest of my squad 515. Capt. Coles stopped and signaled for me to come to him.
“Case, I want you to check that house. Bravo told me a package was in there.”
“Yes sir.” I answered.
As soon as I stepped into the house, my body went numb. I silently pulled out my M-16 and searched the corners of each room. When I peeked into a room that looked like a kitchen, a man jumped out at me with a knife. I ducked as he lunged for me. He flew over my shoulder. I tackled him and tied him up.
Two minutes later, I called Capt. Coles. I pointed to the prisoner and he told another soldier to take him to HQ. As we went outside the house, we saw a giant field. I looked at Sgt. Lewis, who was with me. He nodded. It was my signal to call in the choppers.
“Big Brother, the egg is golden. I repeat, Big Brother, the egg is golden.” I called.
“Roger that 515. Big Brother will be there in three. Ranger, out.” Was the reply.
Attack squad 515 set up a defensive perimeter and was ready for whatever General Karkaroff would send at them. I listened. There was constant chatter of small arms and occasionally the big booms of air support. Apart from being in war, life here was peaceful. The sky was as blue as a sapphire. It suddenly turned black as a Cobra filled my sights.
“Wow! Command is actually early.” Corporal Johnson exclaimed.
“Big whoop. I wanna’ see them out here.” Said Lt. Lewis.
When squad 515 got back to HQ, my taste buds started sizzling. It reminded me of my Uncle Joey’s backyard barbeque.
“Hey boys. We got steak, chicken and ribs in the Mess Hall. Get ‘em while they’re still hot!” Said Chef Connelly.
As I was walking to get my food, I thought to myself: “Is this really what war is like? Is it grown men laughing as they get their heated food? Is this really what…?”
“CASE! GET YOUR BUTT OUTTA’ BED YOU LAZY ROACH!” A man screamed into my ear. It was all a dream.
Now sirens were going off. As I pulled on my combat uniform, I saw Cpl. Johnson go by. I yanked him by the shoulder.
“What the heck is going on here?” I asked.
“Madness. Bravo squad turned on us. Early in the morning they planted charges at Ft. David. It’s gone. Everyone. Everything. Man, my kid was based there. I’ll kill General Spring if it’s the last thing I do,” he said.
Five minutes later, I was in a search and destroy convoy headed toward Kishinev, Moldova. 35 minutes into the ride, all chaos occurs. Men popped out of the ground. RPG’s flew overhead. Bullets whizzed around my body. Then, reality came back and I remembered that I could shoot back! I let my mounted machine gun spin like crazy as black figures jerked from my bullets. “There’s a man in that building! No, behind that window! No! On top of that building!” Suddenly, I felt a piece of burning lead pierce into my side. Warm liquid runs down my leg as I let out a loud scream. The last thing I remember is falling into the bottom of the Humvee. The cold, dark coffin that will be my chariot to heaven. This time it is not a dream.
No comments:
Post a Comment